It’s Oscar season! This year’s Academy Awards ceremony will be held on 25th April and, once again, it will be host-less. And while I’m used to it by now, I do like a host! And because this is a Classic Hollywood blog, you know what’s coming (or do you? Do you ever know what’s coming here at the Garden? I’d like to think I’ve kept you on your toes for the last six years). So here is my ridiculous attempt at being funny with six stupid jokes I would have made at the Oscars back in the 30s and 40s. (See?) Move over, Bob.
– Welcome to the 5th annual Academy Awards. Everyone from Hollywood is here! I heard they’re already making the sequel to Grand Hotel as we speak.
– Victor Fleming was busy this year. Gone with the Wind AND The Wizard of Oz. Hey Vic, leave something for George Cukor… Oh wait.
– Walt Disney is set to receive the Irving Thalberg award tonight. That’s just what he needs, another one.
– Ray Milland is nominated for The Lost Weekend and if he doesn’t win… well, you’ve seen The Lost Weekend.
– This year we have Supporting Actor and Actress nominees for the first time and it’s about time. In fact, if you ask me, I think it’s outrageous Asta hasn’t gotten a Lifetime Achievement award yet.
– Ingrid Bergman is nominated for Gaslight and she said she was absolutely thrilled! At least, she thinks she did.
Happy Oscar season, everyone! More with WORLD CINEMA later this month.