As a lifelong film nerd, I’ve collected some great books on film, screenwriting and Hollywood over the years. Not as many as I’d like but I’m getting there! I thought I’d share some of them with you.
Here they are:
- 1001 Movies to See Before You Die (three different versions)
- 501 Movie Stars
- 501 Movie Directors
- 501 Must-See Movies
- Me: Stories of my Life (Katharine Hepburn)
- Tracy and Hepburn: An Intimate Memoir (Garson Kanin)
- How to Hepburn (Karen Karbo)
- Kate Remembered (A. Scott Berg)
- The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis (Charlotte Chandler)
- By Myself and Then Some (Lauren Bacall)
- Some Like It Wilder: The Life and Controversial Films of Billy Wilder (Gene D. Phillips)
- Billy Wilder interviews (Robert Horton)
- My Life with Judy Garland: Heartbreaker (John Meyer)
- Screenplay: the Foundations of Screenwriting (Syd Field)
- Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir (Eddie Muller)
- Film in Five Seconds (Matteo Civaschi and Gianmarco Milesi)
- Eleven books in the Taschen Movie Icons Series (Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor, Orson Welles, Marx Brothers, Marilyn Monroe, Ingrid Bergman, James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, Marlene Dietrich and Grace Kelly)
Some of you lovely folks out there have recommended some amazing stuff, and I promise I’ll check them all out (Jon, your John Alton recommendation is top of the list!).
Share your books in the comments!